Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Sylvia Plath's passion for fashion

A double-post from me today as I probably won't be around for the rest of the week. Two dear friends are visiting me tomorrow and then I'm house-sitting at the weekend sans internet, which will give me a good chance to carry on with my writing. Got just over 1000 (badly written) words done today and a fair analysis of 'The Rabbit Catcher' so it wasn't altogether unproductive.

I thought it would be a neat idea to do a Sylvia Plath fashion post! Sylvia was a very fashion-conscious person, even doing fashion reviews for a Cambridge University student paper during her time in England. The photographs we have of her show a diverse range of chunky necklaces, flat pumps, colourful scarves, sweeping skirts and country-styled clothing. Using the great software over at polyvore.com I was able to make a few fashion collages:)







If you click the collage itself, the link will take you to a page where the moden-day items are listed and available for purchace:) To me, scarves, swimsuits and the occasional trench-coat are the hallmarks of Sylvia's fashion passion. Intelligence chic! :) Hope you all have a great rest of week and weekend, readers - I'll check back in soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this!

hila said...

this is awesome! and your thesis topic sounds fascinating. I'm a plath addict.

Anthea said...

Oooo thank you!

The Plath Diaries said...

Glad you all enjoyed the post! :)

Roisin said...

Love this post Maeve! It *is* a neat idea... since you mentioned Virginia Woolf elsewhere in your blog recently, I thought this quote would be very appropriate:

"But it is obvious that the values of women differ very often from the values which have been made by the other sex; naturally, this is so. Yet it is the masculine values that prevail. Speaking crudely, football and sport are ‘important’; the worship of fashion, the buying of clothes ‘trivial’. And these values are inevitably transferred from life to fiction." -Woolf, A Room of One's Own

The Plath Diaries said...

Thank you Roisin!!:) And you're right, a very relevant quote!