Thursday, 14 April 2011

Conference fashion

Apologies for the lack of updates in the past few weeks. I've been completely swamped with chapter drafts, travel funding applications and writing up papers. Things are progressing as well as they can be right now. I've had some positive feedback from my supervisor and know exactly what I have to do and the time-period I have to do it all in! My University has a Transferral of Status viva as part of the progression from PhD Student to PhD Candidate (i.e. progression from first to second year) and mine has been scheduled in for the 13th June. After that date, I'm going to kick back and relax for a few weeks (and go and see my baby Ryan Adams play live twice!!!)... but until then, it's full steam ahead.

Tomorrow, I'm heading off to my alma mater to participate in an American Studies Conference. My paper has been written and timed, so I am hoping that I won't repeat the disasterous performance I gave at a PG Symposium in January!

I think that conferences are a brilliant way of meeting new people, especially if, like me, you spend most days alone, living a very Thoreau-type existence. I would like to meet a student who would be open to writing a collaborative piece with me soon, it's something I would like to get a bit of experience in. Aside from the positives, conferences can also be immensely stressful, especially if you are presenting. The most stressful point for me is - honestly - what clothes to wear! The conference I'm attending runs over two days and there is a meal at the end also, so a lot of clothes are needed!

One of my favourite blog reads is Academic Chic.com. It documents the challenges of trying to be fashionable in the academic world. I found this entry on what to wear at conferences very inspiring. After I finish up at the conference, I'm heading to Dublin to see a concert with my best friend, so the doubling-up of clothes mentioned in Academic Chic's post is a great idea!

For the opening afternoon tomorrow, I'm going to wear a navy pinafore (from Primark) with navy wedges (also Primark). For the day-long Saturday session, which I'm presenting at, I've opted for smart, newly-pressed dark jeans and this top from A-Wear.



For the evening dinner, I have some taupe shoes and a cardigan to wear with this dress from ASOS.



For the concert I'm going to double-up the jeans, wedges and wear a sparkley navy top, just to look a little more ~edgy! So here's hoping I have a memorable outfit and make a memorable impression with my paper!

3 comments:

tulip and willow said...

I love this post! On a much much less important scale I got worried about what clothes to wear last term when I was doing presentations. I know that sounds a little silly but I really wanted to feel confident yet relaxed so that I could concentrate on my notes and slides. I also love the thought of you looking so fantastic next to lots of dusty old professors! Hope that you have a great time :)
P.S Academic chic.com looks really good thanks! x

Helen said...

I love that red dress! I've been to a few 'unconferences' as they like to call them now haha, and I can never decide what to wear. I think smart/casual is so hard to do. I want to look professional but not like I'm trying too hard. I've just submitted a paper for a conference in June, I really hope it gets accepted but I don't know, there's a lot of competition. Good luck with yours!

The Plath Diaries said...

@Zoe - I'm glad you like academic chic!! It's a great website! There's another good one called The Thesis Whisperer that I love too, check it out! :) I definitely felt very feminine and confident with the clothes I chose for the conference so I'm going to mark this as a positive experience! :)

@Helen - That's brilliant you're going for a conference, Helen! Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be brilliant! And I look forward to an outfit post when you're preparing!! :)