Friday, 8 February 2013

Sylvia Plath: A 50-Year Retrospective.

If you follow my twitter you'll be aware that this coming Monday I've organised Sylvia Plath: A 50 Year Retrospective. The event will be held in the University of Ulster, York Street campus and runs from 7.30-10pm. Everyone is welcome - we have some of the best academics on the island of Ireland talking about Plath, as well as up-and-coming poets who are guaranteed to make this evening a wonderful commemoration of Plath's outstanding contribution to modern literature. Everyone is welcome!

If you're not close to Belfast, please tune in at 7.30pm GMT via:
  1. The Plath Diaries ustream channel (videos will hopefully be archived here on this blog),
  2. Twitter and follow the hashtag #plath50.
Here's the programme outline:

Sylvia Plath: A 50-Year Retrospective
7.30-10pm 11th February, 2013
Conor Lecture Theatre, University of Ulster York Street

7.30 – 7.45pm: Welcome, wine, book display and slideshow.
(Book display courtesy of Faber & Faber and the British Library.)

7.45 - 8.05: Depersonalising Plath: the 'I' annihilated as an 'I' elated – Dr. Anna Dillon (QUB).
8.05 - 8.25: Plath’s Clear Vowels – Dr. Philip McGowan (QUB). 
8.30 - 8.50: “I talk to myself, myself only": Sylvia Plath's Radio Broadcasts – Dr. Nerys Williams (UCD).
8.50 – 9.10: Hughes and Plath: “The Truth Untold” – Dr. Gillian Groszewski (TCD).

9.05 – 9.15: Questions from audience.

9.15 – 9.45: Readings of a selection of poems by, related to or inspired by Sylvia Plath.
 - Sophie Collins
- Stephen Connolly
- Manuela Moser
- Sam Riviere

9.45 – 9.55: Closing remarks by Maeve O’Brien (UU).

3 comments:

suki said...

Maeve, great to have the lectures up on YouTube
Really enjoying them. Thanks so much!

Jenny said...

Oh man, I wish I could have attended this event! Sounds extraordinary.

Jenny said...

Man, I wish I could have attended this event! Sounds extraordinary.