Sunday, 14 July 2013

Into the Abyss...

Things have been very quiet on the blog front, mostly because all non-thesis related Plath events have been completely wrapped up. All that is left to do now is finish the dissertation. I honestly can't believe that the three years of this process are almost up and I am getting ready to submit!

I am sure in the months to come, I will write more thoroughly about how utterly wonderful and life changing this Ph.D. has been for me. I hope this blog has managed to convey the optimism, gratitude, excitement and passion I have for Sylvia Plath, poetry and education in general. What I know for sure is that, no matter what happens, having the opportunity to do this Ph.D. has completely changed me. I look back at the way my life was before starting and know without doubt that I have been thoroughly enriched by this process.

For now, a brief update. This week I moved home to my family home once again. There is something unnerving about knowing all your worldly possessions can be piled into one car-load but I've chosen to live my life without a fixed place of existence, so that's something to be expected. I'm very grateful that my parents don't mind their 28-year old landing home on them, but we all know that I need to be somewhere away from fast internet speed, social life temptations and in a quiet, respectful place where I can cultivate a routine in order to finish the thesis.

As for a finishing date: I aim to submit in late November. My University offers us three months of "fee free" slack time, but I just cannot allow myself to still be writing into 2014. I could bore you all with where I am exactly with everything but I won't. In the spirit of optimism, and with a little Plath reference, I will just leave it as - 'getting there'. With a pre-2014 submission, I would aim to have my Viva before the end of March. And then sleep for a thousand years...!

I am excited to finish this dissertation - despite all the negative things I could write and think about myself, I want to be optimistic and positive. I have worked hard, read so many books, tried my best and thrown myself into the Plath world. I believe I have the potential to contribute something new and interesting to the field of Sylvia Plath studies. I look forward to sharing all of this work with you all when I've submitted.

The next few months are probably going to be some of the most intellectually demanding and emotionally isolating experiences of my life. But I'll be damned if I'll go down without a fight!

5 comments:

Claire Hennessy said...

Good luck! xo

Peter K Steinberg said...

I second Claire, here. Good luck. I'd've loved to have been bored, though, by where you are in the process.

Best wishes.
pks

Nick Smart said...

Best of luck with your final push for the summit. I have no doubt that the finished article will be a work to be reckoned with.

Nick

Rehan said...

I too have no fixed abode for now but sadly my bookshelves seem to get smaller with every house move! I know you will have given it your all and your immersion in Plath is and will most certainly be a worthy contribution to Plath studies. Really look forward to reading your thesis.

Father Jones said...

Every blessing on the final phase. In writing up there are often new insights and connections that you did not make in earlier phases, I found some bits wrote themselves in directions I had not intended to take.
When it becomes difficult and complex (and it will) remember,
'The heart has not stopped'.